Thursday's latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC's What's Trending...
LIVERPOOL: Jurgen Klopp believes Liverpool's defensive issues would not be solved by signing a certain defender after his side were frustrated by Sevilla on Wednesday night.
- Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson backed Roberto Firmino after his penalty miss meant the Reds settled for a 2-2 draw with Sevilla in their Champions League return on Wednesday night.
- Sevilla manager Eduardo Berizzo says he was sent to the stands for trying to do the "sportsmanlike thing" during the game.
- Dejan Lovren was deemed Liverpool's worst player in Dave Usher's player ratings.
- Zinedine Zidane said Cristiano Ronaldo might have had four goals after the Portuguese had to make do with just two in Wednesday's 3-0 Champions League victory over Apoel Nicosia at the Bernabeu.
- Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos has said teammate Gareth Bale did not deserve to be whistled by fans during the 3-0 Champions League win over Apoel Nicosia at the Bernabeu on Wendesday.
- Karim Benzema has told beIN SPORTS he has no reason to leave Real Madrid, saying the Champions League winners are in "one of their best periods ever."
TOTTENHAM: Fernando Llorente has said Mauricio Pochettino convinced him to join Spurs ahead of Chelsea on transfer deadline day.
- Tottenham's 3-1 win against Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League was an impressive display of tactical maturity, according to Toby Alderweireld and Harry Kane, who both said they have learned from last year's failures in the competition.
- Mauricio Pochettino's team put their struggles at Wembley behind them and took all three points in their Champions League opener, Michael Cox writes.
DORTMUND: Borussia Dortmund's sporting director has said referee Gianluca Rocchi "wasn't on the same level as this fixture" after the Bundesliga side were denied an equaliser in their 3-1 defeat at Tottenham Hotspur.
MAN CITY: Manuel Pellegrini says Pep Guardiola got a wake-up call in his first year of coaching Man City but he "has no doubt" his successor will do well.
- John Stones has said he was "happy to help" Manchester City after his brace in their 4-0 Champions League defeat of Feyenoord on Wednesday, while Pep Guardiola insisted it is too early to say whether the club are playing the best football since he joined.
- Stones, David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne were the top-ranked players in David Mooney's player ratings.
- WATCH: Just how good are Manchester City?
BAYERN MUNICH: Hoffenheim coach Julian Nagelsmann has distanced himself from comments he made about managing Bayern Munich in the future, saying they have "no current relevance."
- Carlo Ancelotti will seek a return to the Premier League next summer if Bayern Munich trigger a break clause in his three-year contract as head coach, a source has told ESPN FC.
- Manchester United have agreed to sign 15-year-old midfielder Charlie McCann from Coventry.
- United fear Paul Pogba could miss next month's Premier League clash with Liverpool because of the hamstring injury he suffered against Basel on Tuesday, sources have told ESPN FC.
- Jesse Lingard has warned Premier League and Champions League defences that Marcus Rashford is only getting stronger and faster.
ARSENAL: Arsenal are planning to open contract talks with Aaron Ramsey and Danny Welbeck in the next few weeks to avoid the players entering the final years of their deals, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC.
- Mesut Ozil and Ramsey will both be rested for Arsenal's Europa League opener against Cologne on Thursday, although manager Arsene Wenger hinted he will use a strong squad for the game.
CHINESE SUPER LEAGUE: Carlos Tevez is "overweight'' and will not play for Shanghai Shenhua again until he improves his fitness, according to the club's caretaker manager Wu Jingui.
STOKE: Jese Rodriguez has said he will "run more and score more goals" for his baby son, who is being treated in hospital following complications arising from his premature birth earlier this summer.